dll's not showing up in Cubase

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

dll's not showing up in Cubase

Post by TranscendingMusic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:07 pm

Hey guys, after a long 17-year run working with Sonar as my main DAW, if you've seen the news lately, Gibson has shut down development. So onward to familiarizing myself with a new DAW. I went with Cubase for now and I was wondering if anybody else with Cubase experience has seen this issue where .dll copies of N4 to create individual instances for specific libraries, are not showing up in the VST scan. N4.dll itself is not showing up either, only the low latency version. Their folder directories are all added to the VST manager and none of them are in Blacklist.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 x64
Ryzen 2700x | Win 10 x64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Re: dll's not showing up in Cubase

Post by RJHollins » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 pm

it may have to do with having unique MAGIC ID numbers for each plugin.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:56 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:Hey guys, after a long 17-year run working with Sonar as my main DAW, if you've seen the news lately, Gibson has shut down development. So onward to familiarizing myself with a new DAW. I went with Cubase for now and I was wondering if anybody else with Cubase experience has seen this issue where .dll copies of N4 to create individual instances for specific libraries, are not showing up in the VST scan. N4.dll itself is not showing up either, only the low latency version. Their folder directories are all added to the VST manager and none of them are in Blacklist.
N4 dll can not be copied in the same way as N3. To be recognized by host, it has to be binary patched with unique MAGIC ID. This is the feature of the N4 Setups module, which is still in the development.

TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Post by TranscendingMusic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Interesting. Thanks guys. I think Sonar creates unique situations, this isn't the first time where I stepped out of it and the consensus is polar to what it can do. I say this because it was extremely easy creating dll copies of N4 and doing whatever I wanted with them regarding specific libraries, alternate data paths, etc in Sonar.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 x64
Ryzen 2700x | Win 10 x64

Mplay

Post by Mplay » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:35 pm

It works in reaper, if cubase doesn't work out as your new DAW. Still using your Nebula presets here by the way :)

roeland
User Level III
User Level III

Post by roeland » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 pm

I have encountered more or less the same problem. In Cubase I can't have both N4 Vst3 and N4 Vst2. Only one of them will show up. Because N4 had issue's with vst3 I settled for the vst2 version, but I'd like to be able to use both versions - which is possible with all the other plugins that come in both vst3 and vst2.

Is there a way to make both versions work? And if not, will there be an update that makes this possible? Aqua's are updated quiet often now as is the Aquarius app - which does not support N4 - but the last update of N4 dates back to June.

TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Post by TranscendingMusic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:04 am

Mplay wrote:It works in reaper, if cubase doesn't work out as your new DAW. Still using your Nebula presets here by the way :)
:lol: cool thanks Michiel. That's great! Which ones?? :)
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 x64
Ryzen 2700x | Win 10 x64

Mplay

Post by Mplay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:40 am

Mostly Vcult :). Behemoth, Ms.Smith and So Transited are great tools to have as well. Still nothing else quite like them in Nebula land.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 am

Some hosts require different MAGIC, some not. But the only proper solution on all levels will be N4 Setups.

Regarding VST3 - when N4 was released, decision was made for VST2 and VST3 to have the same MAGIC. This confuses Cubase for example. With setups, you'll be able to make your own custom named copies of any format (AAX, AU, VST3, VST2) and give them unique MAGIC. This will solve MAGIC issues generally.

roeland
User Level III
User Level III

Post by roeland » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Zab,

Thanks for your explanation, but is there not an extra difficulty which is the use of the xlm files. I have no other plugin (vst2 or vst3) that has these settings files. If I install the vst3 version the vst2 xlm's are overwritten and that is the reason why versions can't co-exist.

The latest Cubase 9.5 has a new engine that enables 64 bit processing for vst3 plugins so I'd like to migrate from vst2 to vst3. I can't do that now because I loose all my nebula vst2 instances in all my projects and in my templates. I also loose all presets saved in cubase (easily 100 or more). Only if I can use vst2 and vst3 I can make the transition, because this makes it possible to replace vst2 NN4's with vst3 N4'and recreate the vst2 presets in vst3 while looking at the settings in the vst2 instances. This is a lot of work though...

All this leads of to the question when will N4 setting be ready?

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 am

roeland wrote: All this leads of to the question when will N4 setting be ready?
In the last weeks i am extensively working on it - to tease you a bit, i can say it's progressing nicely, but still a lot of work has to be done :)

roeland
User Level III
User Level III

Post by roeland » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 pm

zabukowski wrote: In the last weeks i am extensively working on it - to tease you a bit, i can say it's progressing nicely, but still a lot of work has to be done :)
Good know! Keep up the good work...

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 pm

zabukowski wrote:Some hosts require different MAGIC, some not. But the only proper solution on all levels will be N4 Setups.

Regarding VST3 - when N4 was released, decision was made for VST2 and VST3 to have the same MAGIC. This confuses Cubase for example. With setups, you'll be able to make your own custom named copies of any format (AAX, AU, VST3, VST2) and give them unique MAGIC. This will solve MAGIC issues generally.
Reaper and Samplitude, read plug-in file name only, but Steinberg hosts like Nuendo/Cubase and Wavelab, also read plug-in identification, which is called magic in our products.
Best regards,
Acustica Audio help-desk service and support.
https://www.acustica-audio.com/
Acustica Audio is a trademark of Acusticaudio SRL.

To contact Acustica Audio support go to the ‘Support’ in your Acustica Audio account.
We do not provide support via social networks, public forums, Acustica Audio forums, or email accounts.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 pm

to add ...

Some of the CHAINER plugins also use the MAGIC ID.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:06 pm

RJHollins wrote:to add ...

Some of the CHAINER plugins also use the MAGIC ID.
Evidently, a "chainer", which is a special type of mini-host, need to validate plug-ins to recall them in session reload. Similar happen in our wrapped format but call is internal to engine, and external (to host) with magic value.

Some of those mini-host also create a cache file and pop-up a menu to avoid to search the file/plug-in to load every time.
Best regards,
Acustica Audio help-desk service and support.
https://www.acustica-audio.com/
Acustica Audio is a trademark of Acusticaudio SRL.

To contact Acustica Audio support go to the ‘Support’ in your Acustica Audio account.
We do not provide support via social networks, public forums, Acustica Audio forums, or email accounts.