Help understading dsp buffer

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
hollo321
User Level I
User Level I

Help understading dsp buffer

Post by hollo321 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Hello im kina of new to nebula and not sure what dsp buffer settings to use. Its not important to me how affects nebula real time while moving knobs on nebula, but is important how sounds while monitoring and mix down. Will lowering/highering dsp buffer affect sound quality during monitoring mix or in the mixdown? Would like to save cpu power but dont want to sacrafice quality. Please let me know recommended settings for both regular and reverb versions.

Support
Expert
Expert

Re: Help understading dsp buffer

Post by Support » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:31 am

1024 samples of delay is good for every emulation preset less for long reverbs, for long reverbs use 8192 samples.

For monitor signals at low latency use ZL instance and remember with ZL instance CPU load will be higher.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com

hollo321
User Level I
User Level I

Post by hollo321 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am

Support wrote:1024 samples of delay is good for every emulation preset less for long reverbs, for long reverbs use 8192 samples.

For monitor signals at low latency use ZL instance and remember with ZL instance CPU load will be higher.
Thanks. So guess increasing buffer size doesnt affect what i hear when monitoring/mixing. Will use those settings.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm

no. but, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, the dspbuffer does seem to affect smoothness of automation of any sampled controls in a program. this probably doesn't apply to most programs. by sampled control i mean for example something like a low pass filter that was sampled from a synthesizer, like the moog LP sampled by eric. if you want to automate the LP control in your daw, you get smoother sounding results with a lower DSP buffer. (this is my experience anyway, and it's something i figured out when testing my own bawling brat wah filters). also it would apply to something like the gain of an EQ band, but i don't think the result of less smoothness in a case like that will be so bad or even noticeable. not like a filter sweeping around.

if you're just setting controls and leaving them alone it won't matter. i don't even see anyone talking about automating nebula so it seems like it won't matter for most people, but i'm doing it all the time.

MEMFIS_AKA
User Level III
User Level III

Post by MEMFIS_AKA » Sat May 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Important to match yo audio interface buffer size and DSP buffer in xml when you rendering yo mix. If you dont believe me - render some stuff on match 1024+1024.After that change any buffer for example 1024 in xml + 2048 (512,256,128 etc) on sound driver.
Drag and drop those files to new session in yo DAW, send files to separete mixer chanells and flip the phase on one.
If you got phase diffirent - renders is not the same.

abuzaynab
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by abuzaynab » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:09 am

Cupwise wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm
I don't see anyone talking about automating nebula so it seems like it won't matter for most people, but i'm doing it all the time.
Thanks Tim, this is really useful for me, I am automating nebula a lot using reverbs and delays, dub reggae style. Is it possible to set the buffer for individual libraries?

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:34 pm

ah... yeah it is... but it would require you to make a new copy of the nebula .dll and .xml, both using the same file names, and editing the dsp buffer setting in the xmls, you'd have to do that for every library. so it'd be pretty impractical. also i don't think you can do this on mac? i'm not sure. but this is basically what the difference is between the standard and 'reverb' versions of the nebula plugin were, back under nebula 3 when you installed it and it had those two different versions. the reverb one had a larger dsp buffer.

you need larger dsp buffers for programs like reverbs because with those, lower settings cause cpu use to skyrocket. so unfortunately, automation with reverbs can't really be precise since you'd need a lower dsp setting but can't really have that with reverbs. you can still automate reverbs but fast changes won't come out precise. i think it may also depend on the type of control you're automating too, but i'm really not sure.

but the better thing to do is probably just to have a 2 or 3 different copies of nebula, with dspbuffer settings at low, med, and high. higher settings being for reverbs, and lower ones for things like an eq or filter something where you might want to automate and get really precise motion (like a smooth filter sweep). nebulasetups was always a good tool to help set up these different versions. i'm not really sure how any of this applies to nebula 4 as i haven't really looked into it too much there. i'm not sure if n4 gets affected by dspbuffer setting in the same way. i've only done a few tests..

abuzaynab
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by abuzaynab » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 pm

Ok cool, thanks for the advice Tim. Much appreciated!