New machine, performance went down

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
jonassjovaag
User Level II
User Level II

New machine, performance went down

Post by jonassjovaag » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi all
First, background: Recently got hooked on Nebula 4, then switched to Reaper from PT12, then from Mac to stationary PC.

I used to be on a Macbook pro 15, max spec late 2013, and my current new rig is a i6700k 4GHz 4-core, 32GB ram, Nvidia 1080ti GPU, running one SSD for system (m.2) and another SSD for impulse libraries (including Nebula). Main work area is on a 7200 RPM internal HDD and storage on another 5400RPM internal HDD.

After spending a lot of time getting this to work and to learn a new workflow, I'm left in a situation where rendering / bouncing takes longer in my new Reaper / PC setup than it did in my old Macbook / PT.

More interestingly, in a test situation where I bounce two mono files to disk, for instance two kick tracks that would make a kick stem after some basic processing (N4X2 running Surge EQ + 2X MJUC), renders at 1.4X speed in Reaper, but 12-ishX in PT. None of these DAWS use CUDA much, so that is not a difference. CPU usage in reaper howers around 25% mark, did not check yet in PT.

I'm assuming this is not news in any way, but all other threads relating to this either do not conclude in one way or the other, they are too old to be relevant, or they are simply sidetracked by something else.

In short, I have a lot of double tracks (fat kick + snappy kick) that should combine into one main track (main kick stem, main SN stem, main OH, etc) for further processing. Currently it takes forever, and I've tried the following:

1) I've checked and unchecked all the boxes in Reaper suggested elsewhere. Does not make any difference.
2) Checked possible read/write bottlenecks, and is not relevant (one track render, ie 'selected media items' is breakneck speed 40X, writes to disk at 12MB+.)
3) 'Freeze' tracks and mute + hide originals renders at 0.9X speed, and does not achieve wanted results
4) Render selected media items is surprisingly fast, for some reason
5) Solo relevant tracks -> render master mix, which is the only solution I know of that gives me the result that I want, is slow as hell, about 1.5X.

Item number 5 works, as stated earlier, at 12X in PT12. So, does anyone know why this difference is there, and if there is anything I can do to make it better?

Also, posting this here because N4 is what hogs the CPU and slows the render down. Starting up a session with 18 tracks, minimum one N4 on each, takes close to 10 minutes...

Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: New machine, performance went down

Post by Thierr7 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:54 am

It should work much faster imho , i can't tell you abt what's wrong but on WINDOWS you can disable plenty of Services and background tasks that might be the reason why! Win 7 + Reaper is a great combination but Win defenatly needs to be optimized by tweaking . You should Google "Optimizing Win7 for DAW " you'll find what you need to do for sure :-)

I hope it helps ...

JRMusic
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by JRMusic » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:08 am

Have you optimised the PC's BIOS settings for DAW work?

jonassjovaag
User Level II
User Level II

Post by jonassjovaag » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Haven't optimized the bios, no, but I did try to optimize the system for DAW use without much noticeable change.

All pointers on BIOS or OS tweaks are much appreciated!

JRMusic
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by JRMusic » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:18 am

Disable power saving items,in BIOS also in Windows especially on USB drives. Run all cpu cores on basic speed ie. if your cpu is say 3200 Mhz, cpu speed = 100 - cpu ratio at 32.
Disable multithreading. No over clocking at first, some cpu are good to over clock mine sucks, ( 3200 i7 6800K ).
I've found this has given my computer a reliable stability, whereas before it was rubbish.
Hope that helps to some degree. :|

jonassjovaag
User Level II
User Level II

Post by jonassjovaag » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks!
Will try it when the Norwegian holidays are over, and post specific results after.

holographic
User Level II
User Level II

Post by holographic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Sounds like a Reaper related problem to me.
I would try to find the bottleneck by disabling the plugins on the master and checking if it improves.
If it don´t disable all plugins and check the speed, then add the plugin back one by one to try to understand the issue.