N4 and VST3 problems

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

N4 and VST3 problems

Post by zabukowski » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:41 am

VST3 problem, reported by Berty Bill is acknowledged - issue is under investigation!

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Re: N4 and VST3 problems

Post by zabukowski » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:52 am

Update:

Just checked out the situation - with version 1.0.014 a major bug related to automation was fixed. This fix unfortunately caused possible incompatibility issues with older N4 versions in some hosts (VST3 format in Cubase/Nuendo being the most obvious).

To avoid additional problems and confusion, I suggest you to finish projects which are using N4 1.0.013 or older, before installing newer N4 versions.

Sorry for trouble!

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 am

Situation is even more complicated, i won't even explain ...

Anyway, with next version we'll try to make VST3 format a bit host dependent, as Reaper for example works perfect with 1.0.15, but Cubendo doesn't.

Berty Bill
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by Berty Bill » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:59 am

zabukowski wrote:VST3 problem, reported by Berty Bill is acknowledged - issue is under investigation!
Good to know that something happens.. Thanks.. Do You know my updated info that I wrote to Ginacarlo, that the same problem persists not only with opening older projects, but even with new projects In C9 with 0.0.15 release? If You make new project, then open it, all N4 programs are sliders down and no sound... :(

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Berty Bill wrote:
zabukowski wrote:VST3 problem, reported by Berty Bill is acknowledged - issue is under investigation!
Good to know that something happens.. Thanks.. Do You know my updated info that I wrote to Ginacarlo, that the same problem persists not only with opening older projects, but even with new projects In C9 with 0.0.15 release? If You make new project, then open it, all N4 programs are sliders down and no sound... :(
Yes i am aware of that - there are obviously different approaches to VST3 standard from host to host. For example 1.0.015 works with Reaper, but not with Cubendo. On the other hand, 1.0.013 doesn't work with Reaper, especially automation, so hard to tell which host is correct - there are also some reports on JUCE forums with similar problems, so JUCE VST3 wrapper could also be a culprit.

We have many suspects here :/

fisto
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by fisto » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:49 pm

just use VST2...there are really no real benefits in using VST3 with Nebula.
You don't need per-note-expression here and also not sample-accurate-automation.

So basically no point in using the VST3, despite if you like having problems, go ahead and use VST3 :mrgreen:

EDIT: just because it's "one number higher" does not mean it's better.

Berty Bill
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by Berty Bill » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:56 pm

fisto wrote:just use VST2...there are really no real benefits in using VST3 with Nebula.
You don't need per-note-expression here and also not sample-accurate-automation.

So basically no point in using the VST3, despite if you like having problems, go ahead and use VST3 :mrgreen:

I understand, but in my specific situation I can't switch so easy now to VST2.. I have around 30 active projects saved on VST3 and if I keep in system just VST2 plugin, then N4 do not recognize programs saved on VST3. If I open project in VST2 then I have empty N4 programs. I would like to use latest 0.0.15 release , but I am forced due this issue to stay on 0.0.13 release. This is my problem point.

fisto
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by fisto » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Berty Bill wrote:
fisto wrote:just use VST2...there are really no real benefits in using VST3 with Nebula.

I understand, but in my specific situation I can't switch so easy now to VST2.. I have around 30 active projects saved on VST3 and if I keep in system just VST2 plugin, then N4 do not recognize programs saved on VST3. If I open project in VST2 then I have empty N4 programs. I would like to use latest 0.0.15 release , but I am forced due this issue to stay on 0.0.13 release. This is my problem point.
totally understand that this is not cool for you :)
but to be a bit more "save" in the future you could maybe switch the instances one by one in a night-session some time.
Make a screenshot of all instances and then load up the VST2 version and recreate all settings. I know this is not a quick solution at all, but this might save you some hassle in the future, as we read that VST3 format is not that save for now generally.
And hoping that it gets fixed is just that: relying on others to fix that and losing work in the meantime. And as I know Steinberg, they are not really quick with fixing long standing problems. So better to rely on yourself and to use what works best for now.

So, maybe just jump in and exchange your instances and start using VST2 with Nebula :)
Might me doable in a few hours and better than loosing hair because it is not fixed yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Berty Bill
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by Berty Bill » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Yes, thank You for recommendation, it sounds like one and only right way in my situation. I just hope ironically, that I dont need it to do again when new 0.0.16 release will be released :)

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Berty Bill wrote:Yes, thank You for recommendation, it sounds like one and only right way in my situation. I just hope ironically, that I dont need it to do again when new 0.0.16 release will be released :)
Please contact me on [email protected]. I'll try to provide an experimental 1.0.16 VST3, which will use 1.0.13 approach just for Cubendo ... at least this is an idea.

Your feedback will be most welcome.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:56 am

I can happily report that N4 version in development (1.0.016) is now properly saving/reopening all projects with Cubendo (as confirmed from Berty Bill).

Looks like after all these years, VST3 is still a can of worms and it is varying from host to host - N4 depends a lot on JUCE framework VST3 wrapper and this issue was also coming from there.

robmez
User Level II
User Level II

Post by robmez » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 am

Same problem with VST 3 and N4 in Cubase. I'm happy that a solution was found and a new version soon released.
I just would ask to write a clear and straightforward procedure for upgrading and/or installing from scratch the upcoming version. I didn't understand the procedure included in 1.0.15 release, making an upgrade where (maybe... but to this day it's not clear for me) a fresh install was required. I currently have this version (1.0.15).
Upgrade? Clean installation? uninstallation first? backup first?
Just this...

malekmusic
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by malekmusic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:46 pm

n4 in vst3 in cubase 9 still doesnt work.

actually, im kind of disapointed, i thought since acustica made the stupid decision to dont integrate a sidechain filter for compressors, vst3 could be the rescue for my dilemma. in cubase it is impossible to route a a sidechain to a masterbus for example. vst3 has the possibility but why the heck is the sidechain option in vst3 not available???

still dont understand why we dont have a simple filter in the compressor... i have to use metaplugin for this. its a pain.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:49 am

malekmusic wrote:n4 in vst3 in cubase 9 still doesnt work.

actually, im kind of disapointed, i thought since acustica made the stupid decision to dont integrate a sidechain filter for compressors, vst3 could be the rescue for my dilemma. in cubase it is impossible to route a a sidechain to a masterbus for example. vst3 has the possibility but why the heck is the sidechain option in vst3 not available???

still dont understand why we dont have a simple filter in the compressor... i have to use metaplugin for this. its a pain.
VST3 native sidechain will be supported when we'll upgrade JUCE development framework to newer version (the same case with AU native sidechain).

Until then, try to sidechain VST3 in the same way as with VST2 using Cubase quad (4) channel/group - channels 1/2 signal, channels 3/4 sidechain. You must use only Nebula presets, which support sidechain.

pablo1980
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by pablo1980 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:41 pm

So, it is not advisable to install vst3 with cubase 9 yet Zab?

I haven´t installed neb4 yet due to lots of projects and not wanting to disrupt anything, should I go ahead and install N4 now?