Studio One plugin bypass not working with N4? (solved)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Studio One plugin bypass not working with N4? (solved)

Post by robschroeder » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:06 am

As I am mixing in Studio One this morning with N4 I realised that the bybass button in Studio One is not working anymore using N4. With N3 and other plugs all ok. Can someone please check and verify?
Image 1.png
Please don't mix up the Plugin On/Off Button (the blue one on the left side) with the plugin bypass button which I marked with an orange circle. I am talking about that button.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by robschroeder on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Winter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: Studio One plugin bypass not working with N4?

Post by Jack Winter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:23 am

robschroeder wrote:As I am mixing in Studio One this morning with N4 I realised that the bybass button in Studio One is not working anymore using N4. With N3 and other plugs all ok. Can someone please check and verify?
Image 1.png
Please don't mix up the Plugin On/Off Button (the blue one on the left side) with the plugin bypass button which I marked with an orange circle. I am talking about that button.

Thanks in advance!
I noticed the same thing in Reaper, I have to offline n4, just bypassing it doesn't seem to reduce CPU load at all.
i7-2600k/16GB, i7-4700HQ/16GB, Archlinux/KDE/REAPER, Multiface/Babyface/X32, Genelec 8040, and far too much more to list.

Bibibeatgrid
User Level I
User Level I

Post by Bibibeatgrid » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:24 am

Hi Rob,

it seems to be a VST3 typical behavior, if the plug-in has a dedicated bypass it is coupled with the S1-bypass. The PSP-Audio E27 EQ for example acts the same way (only the bypass button of the plugin is engaging it) ...but only the VST3 version.
WIN i7, 32GB | Live9, S1, Reaper | AZURE COBALT CORAL CRIMSON EBONY GREEN IVORY LIME LEMON MAGENTA SAND N4: PTeQ, MMeQ, A5M, EXComp, EXeQ, N64, FNX Red, Neo Console, MTC Console, Fa-Tzu, DualTechTube, TubeMidRange, RStateEQ, 37jTape, Blue-mu, A100, Lunchpail, Flucti-Mew

robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by robschroeder » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 am

Thx! Could be an explanation but then it would be right when the button turns orange which in case of N4 it doesn't. How is it on the PSP if you press bypass in the plugin? Does S1 then turn the bypass button in its interface to orange to show that it is in bypass?

Bibibeatgrid
User Level I
User Level I

Post by Bibibeatgrid » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:47 pm

robschroeder wrote:Thx! Could be an explanation but then it would be right when the button turns orange which in case of N4 it doesn't. How is it on the PSP if you press bypass in the plugin? Does S1 then turn the bypass button in its interface to orange to show that it is in bypass?
Just tested some VST3s and it gets even more crazy:

PSP E27: you can click S1-bypass-button, the GUI-button is synced and switches off too. But if you disengage S1-bypass the EQ is still in bypass until you click the GUI-bypass.
Arturia Minifilter: same as N4, S1-bypass-button is disabled only GUI-bypass works.
EiosysE2DeEsser: S1-bypass-button and GUI-bypass-button on/off in perfect sync.

Edit: other VST3s like plugin-alliance stuff seem all to have bypass not connected to S1-bypass.

/o\ ...it's a little messy.
WIN i7, 32GB | Live9, S1, Reaper | AZURE COBALT CORAL CRIMSON EBONY GREEN IVORY LIME LEMON MAGENTA SAND N4: PTeQ, MMeQ, A5M, EXComp, EXeQ, N64, FNX Red, Neo Console, MTC Console, Fa-Tzu, DualTechTube, TubeMidRange, RStateEQ, 37jTape, Blue-mu, A100, Lunchpail, Flucti-Mew

robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by robschroeder » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:28 pm

I had feared that :lol:. Does not seem to be a real standard or at least each vendor handels it in another way. :mrgreen:

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Re: Studio One plugin bypass not working with N4? (solved)

Post by zabukowski » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:33 pm

We'll try to make it work with future N4 updates, together with VST3 and AU native side-chain. It really depends a lot on JUCE framework update as well.

Cubendo doesn't even show this button with N4.

robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by robschroeder » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Great to hear! Thanks Zab! 8-)

Jack Winter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by Jack Winter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:11 pm

zabukowski wrote:We'll try to make it work with future N4 updates, together with VST3 and AU native side-chain. It really depends a lot on JUCE framework update as well.
Then even a native linux version wouldn't be too far out of reach? B)
i7-2600k/16GB, i7-4700HQ/16GB, Archlinux/KDE/REAPER, Multiface/Babyface/X32, Genelec 8040, and far too much more to list.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:05 pm

Jack Winter wrote:
zabukowski wrote:We'll try to make it work with future N4 updates, together with VST3 and AU native side-chain. It really depends a lot on JUCE framework update as well.
Then even a native linux version wouldn't be too far out of reach? B)
Hehe, yes, but we need Linux compatible Nebula engine first :)