Nebula version 4.x experiences

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
davidgary73
Expert
Expert

Re: Nebula version 4.x experiences

Post by davidgary73 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:32 am

N4 loads slower plus N4 crashes a few times adding any Acqua.N2S with N2V and only after a few N4 boot up, everything becomes workable.

Adding internal HP side-chain under Edit>EVFS N4 page with Lime and Sand presets is pretty fantastic ;)

Btw, the VU meters on the comp/pre skins are not very responsive. Is there a setting to make it work better?
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.4.6 • OSX 10.13.6 • VEP 6 • Console 1 •

Please join us - Facebook Acustica Audio Official Group page @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/2161186247437661/

takboo
User Level III
User Level III

Post by takboo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:01 am

Sorry for cut in! and I wonder someone posted before.
I rendered a song with Hall reverb(70 conc hall) of N4 but reverb tail became shorter than played on DAW real time.Just like gated.
No problem on real time playback.

I tried to replace Nebula3 then works fine with same program name preset(70 conc hall).
Is there different between them and need to tweak something special on N4? :?:

idrummer
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by idrummer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:45 am

Happy Holidays to everyone at AA family!
I'm quite confused with N4's new release and (as usual) there is not so much info about it. I've search but, I have to say, reading the manual or many other posts about it couldn't dissipate my doubts and even sometimes they made them bigger. So here I go...
1- Is there a considerable difference in sound quality between N4 and Nebula3 Pro ?
2- Is N4 capable to launch old 3rd party libraries at least as good as Nebula3? (I'm asking this because I invested a considerable amount of money on them and for me is a must work) Apart from the fact that I need to load old projects and use N4 on them.
3- Can I load several libraries in one instance of N4? ie. If I want to load all AlexB Pooltec programs to have the whole Pooltec EQ working in one N4 instance, and be able to tweak any parameter on that instance)
4- I know that N4 is a new concept, but I also know that is not made from scratch, I mean, is based on Nebula 3, right? If so, why is the upgrade plan for Nebula3 and Nebula3 Pro users so expensive? (correct me if I'm wrong) N4 has a new core9 that will work great with new compressor libraries that aren't in the market yet but will in the future, but right now , apart from the search browser, and the fact that loads Aqua plugins (which I don't see why I might want them loaded in N4 if I could load them separately) what's the difference/benefits of getting N4?
Please enlighten me and let me see why everybody is so exited with this new release. I'm sure I'm missing something and I would hate if I don't upgrade because of that.
I love AA!! and I really appreciate the effort and all the great work they are doing, but sometimes I have the feeling that some releases come out a little bit too early and the beta testing is not very pleasant.

janiq
User Level I
User Level I

Post by janiq » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:49 am

Hi Guys

If someone have a minute and can give a plain instruction on how to open nebula 3 libraries in 4th version on mac os x that would be great. In my case I have some analoginthebox libraries (i have moved programs and vectors to respective directory in nebula 4 folder but they dont show once its opened). Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Wojtek

jorismak
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by jorismak » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:59 am

If you look at it with pessimistic eyes, you pay for 'nebula3 + with Core9 engine + a new simple but useful browser'.

Even with the 30% discount for everyone now (20% pre order + 10% christmas) it may seem expensive.

If there at any time come 3rd party N4 libraries it will become clear very quickly. There are now Aqua plugins that cost over 200,- EUR. If you buy 3rd party N4 libraries (IF they appear) for like 50 bucks or 80 bucks, then the less than 200 you paid for N4 are already playing even. If you buy a second 3rd party N4 library it already paid for itself.

But, to sweeten the deal the supplied Acustica library now contains a new bunch of compressor patches made for N4. So extra value there. Then they include the Rose Aqua, so there's extra value there.

Then there is the little things. Older libraries could (I'm careful :P) sound a tiny bit better or clearer, there are more improvements coming like chaining (right?), skinning (right?) and more useful features to the browser (right?) and other 'quality of live'-improvements during the development.

So yes, N4 can quickly feel or look like "it is just Nebula3 with Core9 engine and a funky browser". And although that is reason enough to be excited, I understand that for a lot of people it's not a reason to pay 160,- EUR. I paid around 135,- EUR or something close to that which makes it closer to a very nice deal, especially with the compressor library and Rose.

But N4 is more of 'what it can become' instead of what it is now. Nebula3 was also very vague in concept. When the libraries started hitting, and compressors got better and AlexB came with his specially made converters things started to come alive. I'm very curious to see what will happen to N4 down the line.

If that's reason for you to invest now or not, that's for you to decide. I bit the bullet. Just being able to load everything in the Acustica library in the N4ZL and be able to track live through it (with like 66 samples of latency caused by a single N4ZL instance) is almost reason enough to get N4. I know you could tweak Nebula3 to be close like that, but just straight from a clean install being able to load a Studio Room reverb from the library and a tape-patch form the library is so nice to me (While playing through an amp sim or the emulated out one of my amps).

If there ever comes a tape library using Core9 with compression behaviour and it's somewhat affordable, N4 paid for itself already to me :P.

Andrums
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Andrums » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:22 pm

When you buy N4 you buy FUTURE.
In near future you can load multi programs and make your own channel strips.
That is why I bought N4 first of all

janiq
User Level I
User Level I

Post by janiq » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi Guys

Still on the look out if anyone can write in plain english a short instruction on how to add 3rd party libraries from Nebula 3 to Nebula 4 browser. Thanks in advance.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:27 pm

davidgary73 wrote:N4 loads slower plus N4 crashes a few times adding any Acqua.N2S with N2V and only after a few N4 boot up, everything becomes workable.

Adding internal HP side-chain under Edit>EVFS N4 page with Lime and Sand presets is pretty fantastic ;)

Btw, the VU meters on the comp/pre skins are not very responsive. Is there a setting to make it work better?
Loading ACQUA plugins is not supported, yet. You can actually load them, but all kind of unexpected things (including crashes, corrupted program list in browser etc.) can happen, so beware.

Jack Winter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by Jack Winter » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:30 pm

janiq wrote:Still on the look out if anyone can write in plain english a short instruction on how to add 3rd party libraries from Nebula 3 to Nebula 4 browser. Thanks in advance.
I am a noob around here, but this is my experience and understanding. The N4 engine is completely redesigned and on some OS' and versions the way it handles errors results in a crash instead of being handled correctly.

There is no error in it's handling of <AlternativeDataPath> but that seems to be where most of the problems show up. The problem is in fact that some libs contain errors in the programs that were handled correctly by N3 but causes problems with N4.

My suggestion would be to create an <AlternativeDataPath> and add one lib to it and then test for potential problems. Note that it doesn't have to crash immidiately, it might happen later too. If the lib is good, then add it to the main Programs/Vectors dirs, or to it's proper <AlternativeDataPath>.
i7-2600k/16GB, i7-4700HQ/16GB, Archlinux/KDE/REAPER, Multiface/Babyface/X32, Genelec 8040, and far too much more to list.

davidgary73
Expert
Expert

Post by davidgary73 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:32 pm

zabukowski wrote:
davidgary73 wrote:N4 loads slower plus N4 crashes a few times adding any Acqua.N2S with N2V and only after a few N4 boot up, everything becomes workable.

Loading ACQUA plugins is not supported, yet. You can actually load them, but all kind of unexpected things (including crashes, corrupted program list in browser etc.) can happen, so beware.
Thanks for the heads up Zab..its good to know that it works and for now, i removed it until it's fully supported.

Cheers
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.4.6 • OSX 10.13.6 • VEP 6 • Console 1 •

Please join us - Facebook Acustica Audio Official Group page @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/2161186247437661/

janiq
User Level I
User Level I

Post by janiq » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Jack Winter wrote:
janiq wrote:Still on the look out if anyone can write in plain english a short instruction on how to add 3rd party libraries from Nebula 3 to Nebula 4 browser. Thanks in advance.
I am a noob around here, but this is my experience and understanding. The N4 engine is completely redesigned and on some OS' and versions the way it handles errors results in a crash instead of being handled correctly.

There is no error in it's handling of <AlternativeDataPath> but that seems to be where most of the problems show up. The problem is in fact that some libs contain errors in the programs that were handled correctly by N3 but causes problems with N4.

My suggestion would be to create an <AlternativeDataPath> and add one lib to it and then test for potential problems. Note that it doesn't have to crash immidiately, it might happen later too. If the lib is good, then add it to the main Programs/Vectors dirs, or to it's proper <AlternativeDataPath>.
Hi Jack

Thanks for your reply. I am still struggling as to where I supposed to put this alternativedatapath - its not explained in manual. I saw someone mentioned it before in this thread but if you could just let me know those basic details I am missing that would be great.

darren

Post by darren » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:28 pm

I hope a build will be provided urgently that traps these errors gracefully without bringing down the whole show.
N4. N3 Server. Ultramarine. Scarlet. Sand. Pink 7236. Pink 2412. Pink. Ivory. Green. Aquamarine. Amethyst. Gold.

robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by robschroeder » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:30 pm

In the .xml of N4. This you will find in the same directory the plugin is installed.

Jack Winter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by Jack Winter » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:44 pm

janiq wrote:I am still struggling as to where I supposed to put this alternativedatapath - its not explained in manual. I saw someone mentioned it before in this thread but if you could just let me know those basic details I am missing that would be great.
Edit n4.xml in you vst plugin directory, I assume the location will be similar for other formats. For n4zl do the same to the corresponding .xml file. Here is a sample from mine:

<PROGRAMSUBPATH> Programs/ </PROGRAMSUBPATH>
<AlternativeDataPath> C:\nebula4temprepository\AlternativeDataPath\AlexB\ </AlternativeDataPath>
<!-- <AlternativeDataPath> C:\nebula4temprepository\AlternativeDataPath\HenryOlonga\ </AlternativeDataPath> -->
<AlternativeDataPath> C:\nebula4temprepository\AlternativeDataPath\TimPetherick\ </AlternativeDataPath>
<VECTORSUBPATH> Vectors/ </VECTORSUBPATH>

If it's wrapped by <!-- entry --> then it's commented out and those libs won't be loaded. In the above the HenryOlonga one. You could make a dir and an entry for testing, and install lib after lib there, and if you see that it is ok, then you could move or install them to their final destinations. Or just wait for AA to fix the problem on the affected platforms. So far the libs I own from AlexB and Tim Petherick seem to work fine, I've also moved a few select ones in from the AYCE bundle, but I run into problems if I try to load the entire bundle. I believe I saw G. mentioning that it won't necessarily crash immediately, but could crash later. So possibly better to go slow :)
i7-2600k/16GB, i7-4700HQ/16GB, Archlinux/KDE/REAPER, Multiface/Babyface/X32, Genelec 8040, and far too much more to list.

janiq
User Level I
User Level I

Post by janiq » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:47 pm

robschroeder wrote:In the .xml of N4. This you will find in the same directory the plugin is installed.
thanks for your reply but in that file were do you exactly put it ? cause in my case I have added this line in <!-- ALTERNATIVE PATHS SETUP --> and <!-- PATHS SETUP --> before and it came out with nothing or I am missing something ??? thanks for your help with this.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 19.46.31.png