Tape in Nebula - How do you use it?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
schismatic
User Level II
User Level II

Tape in Nebula - How do you use it?

Post by schismatic » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi guys,

I've got a couple of queries about using Tape programs in Nebula.

At the moment, I don't understand what I'm doing with tape programs At the crux of this perhaps is that I don't really understand enough about tape in the first place. Could somebody please give me a layman's guide to the following questions:
  1. 1. How does tape typically fit into the signal chain if replicating analog chains?
  • 2. Why do we use tape? What are the usual benefits?
  • 3. I don't understand IPS, other than it represents the speed of the tape. Can somebody explain the relationship between different speeds and the characteristics they bring out in sound? e.g. I never know whether I should use "30 ips, heavy", or "7.5ips, light" - I don't understand what each one might mean and which situations I should use them in
  • 4.How do we apply tape in terms of the 2-buss, general busses and individual tracks?
I understand there are lots of good libraries out there, (so I'm not after recommendations of R2R thanks! :D ) - let's focus on the general things we need to know about tape.

Lots of questions I know, but you guys are the experts! :D

botus99
Expert
Expert

Re: Tape in Nebula - How do you use it?

Post by botus99 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:53 am

1. Read this thread to clarify the wheres/whys regarding a Nebula signal chain
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/vi ... ilit=chain

2. LOTS of reasons! A pleasing EQ curve, saturation, compression, "glue" factor, transient shaping, etc...

3. Think of IPS (inches per second) like an analog version of a sample rate. At 7.5ips, you'll lose a lot of high-end and it is just not as accurate (but sometimes it adds punch or other pleasing effects, unlike a low sample rate that can't add ANYTHING pleasing IMO).

At 30ips, you're putting the same amount of information you would on 7.5/15ips tape on a much larger surface area. This is equivalent to a higher sample rate having more digital 1's and 0's per second to provide a more accurate representation of the recorded audio.

4. 2mix - 30ips, busses 15ips, tracks 15ips (7.5ips is only used as an effect for me personally)

That's just MY workflow though. Try things, read more, and LISTEN. You'll get a better grasp
Win10 / Reaper / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM | ZED-R16 / Digi003 (Revive modded)
N4 - Orange, Blue, Purple, Pearl, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt, Lemon

dpclarkson

Post by dpclarkson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 am

I love the use of tape programs in Nebula!
They're the icing on the cake 99% of the
time for me.
I get most use out of the R2R Studer 15ips
programs.
It took a while to get familiar with the curves
and harmonics, but things changed a lot after
experimenting with input levels.
Other than that, my workflow is pretty much the
same as botus99 described in the above post.

schismatic
User Level II
User Level II

Post by schismatic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Guys, thanks for the explanation, perfect. Much appreciated :)