Library: naming and management

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

Library: naming and management

Post by apollo soul » Thu May 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Is there a way to rename the programs? I understand why devs don't often use name of original gear, but their names aren't helping me any at mixdown time, so I'd like to rename them.

Also, is there a way to set-up a different folder hierarchy? Right now, there are a number filed where I would choose differently. I have enough now that it would be helpful to make my own folders and sort them as it makes sense to me and my workflow.

thx

apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by apollo soul » Sat May 07, 2011 1:23 am

Someone must have a take on this.

I have nearly 700 programs that are not organized the way I would like. Some have defaulted to incorrect positions, some have created redundant folders, and many have names that are meaningless to me.

I don't want to mess anything up, so I'm asking first:

Can I just rename them and the corresponding vectors?

How do I choose what subfolder they are in?

mac au

User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11146
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by giancarlo » Sat May 07, 2011 3:52 am

it's possible but in windows. Nat allows that, and there is an utility written from zab which creates how many nebulas as you want with a custom preset organization

apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by apollo soul » Sat May 07, 2011 4:30 am

So... does that mean it's NOT possible on a mac?

User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11146
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by giancarlo » Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 am

you should edit categories and names manually in nebula.. it's a nightmare

apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by apollo soul » Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm

OK.

Having 700 programs with many misfiled or in redundant folders... and most having names that mean nothing to me...


... is no picnic either though.



So, if I am willing to spend some time:

Can I do the names by just changing the file name for the prog, vector, and xml files? Just the prog and vector?

Is the ability to change the folder in the xml somewhere?

User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by ngarjuna » Tue May 10, 2011 7:11 pm

apollo soul wrote:OK.

Having 700 programs with many misfiled or in redundant folders... and most having names that mean nothing to me...


... is no picnic either though.



So, if I am willing to spend some time:

Can I do the names by just changing the file name for the prog, vector, and xml files? Just the prog and vector?

Is the ability to change the folder in the xml somewhere?
I know nothing about just editing the XML files but what Giancarlo is suggesting would involve going into Nebula, using the PROG page -> Edit and then from there you can edit both the name and category of a program (remember to save your changes). The nightmare, I would imagine, is that you'd have to do this for all your programs individually.

I think Nebula Renderer (which is now a different name I think) might be trying to add (or may have already added) re-categorizing and re-naming to their software; that might be a good alternative if that works (I'm not sure if it does or not, though).

User avatar
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Lodi | Madrid | Buenos Aires
Contact:

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by enriquesilveti » Tue May 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Can I do the names by just changing the file name for the prog, vector, and xml files? Just the prog and vector?
NO.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (W8.1 | OSX 10.10.5 | i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SSD)
SP4 ( W10 CU | i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SSD)
UFX | Digiface USB | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U16 | VM W10 FCU | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX6 | LN2C | SMAART8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | BW1 | NIK5

apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by apollo soul » Wed May 11, 2011 9:32 pm

ngarjuna wrote: I know nothing about just editing the XML files but what Giancarlo is suggesting would involve going into Nebula, using the PROG page -> Edit and then from there you can edit both the name and category of a program (remember to save your changes). The nightmare, I would imagine, is that you'd have to do this for all your programs individually.

I think Nebula Renderer (which is now a different name I think) might be trying to add (or may have already added) re-categorizing and re-naming to their software; that might be a good alternative if that works (I'm not sure if it does or not, though).
Well if that's all, then hat's no nightmare. I was going to have to do them all individually anyway... since I want to go through and give them names that mean something to me and follow my hierarchies.

I guess I'll look at that and see if it renames the prog and vector files for me, etc... and what my options are for file structure.

User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by ngarjuna » Wed May 11, 2011 9:39 pm

apollo soul wrote:
ngarjuna wrote: I know nothing about just editing the XML files but what Giancarlo is suggesting would involve going into Nebula, using the PROG page -> Edit and then from there you can edit both the name and category of a program (remember to save your changes). The nightmare, I would imagine, is that you'd have to do this for all your programs individually.

I think Nebula Renderer (which is now a different name I think) might be trying to add (or may have already added) re-categorizing and re-naming to their software; that might be a good alternative if that works (I'm not sure if it does or not, though).
Well if that's all, then hat's no nightmare. I was going to have to do them all individually anyway... since I want to go through and give them names that mean something to me and follow my hierarchies.

I guess I'll look at that and see if it renames the prog and vector files for me, etc... and what my options are for file structure.
I'm pretty sure you cannot (should not) change the file names; the programs (N2P) are coded to refer to specific vector filenames. Don't worry about the files, that's supposed to be "behind the scenes" anyway. What you want to adjust is all inside of Nebula (the categories and program names).

If that renaming process doesn't seem too daunting then I believe (right now) that is the best (and maybe only?) way to accomplish it. Personally, I have too many programs loaded to consider that; I'm going to wait until there's a faster/less manual solution to that problem (but I agree, the inconsistencies in category organization really bug me personally).

RJHollins
Expert
Expert
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by RJHollins » Wed May 11, 2011 9:52 pm

my first question would be ...

If AFTER renaming a file ... WILL it still be found and loaded from a PREVIOUS project [but now with a new name?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by ngarjuna » Wed May 11, 2011 10:07 pm

RJHollins wrote:my first question would be ...

If AFTER renaming a file ... WILL it still be found and loaded from a PREVIOUS project [but now with a new name?
You mean after renaming a program I think (as above, renaming files is dangerous)...but I just tested it in REAPER (4b4), it seems to save the program as a different program number altogether (although that is adjustable so I'm guessing you could overwrite the old one? or at least delete it) so both programs were available. But that suggests to me that when the plugin state is saved, it must invoke the program by name or number; so that might add an additional wrinkle to this situation if you need to also make certain to use the same program number when you rename it (in order to not break backwards compatibility with saved programs). But this makes me wonder something...

If I take a project to my other machine with Nebula Pro and load it up, it loads the programs flawlessly. I could be wrong but I don't think two different installs will automatically number the programs in the same way (I was under the impression that numbering scheme has much to do with what order you installed your programs), which would mean that it's actually selecting the program by name and not by number. So I'm really not sure. But it sounds like there is at least the potential to break backwards compatibility.

We should get some more input from Giancarlo or Enriquesilveti, I think, lest we break things and good.

User avatar
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Lodi | Madrid | Buenos Aires
Contact:

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by enriquesilveti » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 pm

I never try it!
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (W8.1 | OSX 10.10.5 | i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SSD)
SP4 ( W10 CU | i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SSD)
UFX | Digiface USB | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U16 | VM W10 FCU | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX6 | LN2C | SMAART8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | BW1 | NIK5

User avatar
himhui
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by himhui » Thu May 12, 2011 5:00 am

apollo soul wrote:
ngarjuna wrote: I know nothing about just editing the XML files but what Giancarlo is suggesting would involve going into Nebula, using the PROG page -> Edit and then from there you can edit both the name and category of a program (remember to save your changes). The nightmare, I would imagine, is that you'd have to do this for all your programs individually.

I think Nebula Renderer (which is now a different name I think) might be trying to add (or may have already added) re-categorizing and re-naming to their software; that might be a good alternative if that works (I'm not sure if it does or not, though).
Well if that's all, then hat's no nightmare. I was going to have to do them all individually anyway... since I want to go through and give them names that mean something to me and follow my hierarchies.

I guess I'll look at that and see if it renames the prog and vector files for me, etc... and what my options are for file structure.

Do you have windows or virtual's one? If yes, you can download the win neb/nat and use the nat to do it...
Attachments
Snap9.jpg
Snap9.jpg (114.97 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
97v4 /Win10 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.7/X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro

RJHollins
Expert
Expert
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Library: naming and management

Post by RJHollins » Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 am

Hi HimHui,

I do have Neb3 Pro with the included NAT ... but until we get confirmation ...

If we 'rename' a patch ... what happens when we load an early project :?: Does the patch load in [as expected] with the NEW name, or does NEBULA not find the patch and goes to INIT :?:

Obviously, I've not tried any renaming ... and I don't need another adventure at this time :? Need definitive answer ... or at least the clarification as to what would happen.

Thank-you!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

Post Reply